Introduction And Background
Acne is something that all of us have experienced at one time or another. Many have also seen the worst side of acne while others have had only mild acne. The ratio in teenagers is that three out of four teenagers have experienced acne which is the highest percentage of any age group for acne. While most people tend to outgrow acne or wait it out in their teens, it may continue to affect you for a longer period than that. Acne is not something to be afraid of but if things are getting worse, you should definitely do something about it. It is better to catch the problem at the beginning than wait for it to worsen.
What Causes Acne?
There are a lot of reasons why acne is caused and the list can go on and on. However, the major reasons of why acne is caused are written below with little detail:
- The skin sometimes produces excess oil. It can be due to any condition but sometimes it is environmental. Sunlight or heating conditions causes our skin to produce oil. Excess oil and clog the pores of the skin and cause inflammation to happen which often leads to spots or pimples which again lead to acne.
- Sometimes, bacteria is also the cause behind the clogged pores and they are the ones to lead to acne.
- Acne can also be caused by stress or some tension. This happens to adults mostly who take a lot of stress. The signs of it begin to show on their face then.
- Some drugs also cause acne. There are a few medications whose side effects include acne but then again, one cannot exactly live without medication if it is really needed.
- Pregnant women can also get acne due to their physical, mental and emotional changes faced during their pregnancy.
- Hormonal fluctuations are another reason of why people get acne. This is the common factor that happens in teenagers which leads to acne. Teenagers experience a lot of changes to their body and hormonal fluctuations is one of them.
- Ruining your skin or clogging your pores with excessive use of makeup or skin care products can also cause acne very easily.
- Swimming pools, especially public swimming pools, are also a popular cause of acne.
- Contraceptive pills have also been known to cause acne!
Dangers Of Scratching The Pimples
We often don’t understand how to deal with our acne and even more than that, it begins to itch at times. Grownups often can control their itching but the youngsters have a hard time keeping their hand away from it all. But, never ever start scratching. It is extremely bad for the acne. Listed below are the dangers that can occur because of scratching the pimples:
- You can easily scar yourself. This is the first and the main danger of scratching pimples. Scarring of the skin is not good and it can take a very long time to heal. For some people, it is worse than getting pimples itself.
- You might aggravate the skin and new pimples can arise from it. Scratching will only lead to further irritation of the acne.
- You might be spreading the bacteria from your hand to other parts of the face or any other part of the body and the acne might spread.
- It is unhygienic and very bad for the acne.
Common Myths Of Acne
A few common myths of acne include popping the pimples. Many men seem to think that their skin is more durable than anything and that if they pop the pimples, it will get rid of them faster. This is not true. It will only make things worse, especially if their age is above twenty or twenty five where their skin does not heal as fast as a child’s might. Also remember that squeezing the pimples will not do any good either. It will only spread the bacteria and cause scarring of that area. Another common myth is that only teenagers get acne. This is not true. Adults get acne and even old people get acne. This article is for all age groups! Surveys and research has shown that a significant number of adults from the ages of thirty to their fifties are getting acne!
Acne can be healed and is actually not a very dangerous skin condition. The dangers for it are provided by yours truly if you mess up with your acne. Do not scratch the pimples or touch or squeeze them. It is not good for the acne and will most probably lead to scarring. Other than that, there are a few things you need to do for the betterment of your skin and your acne can disappear.