Introduction and background
The best place to start off is by giving a little introduction about what acne really is so that you can better understand everything that will come afterwards. Acne is caused when the pores on the human skin get blocked due to overproduction of cells by the hair follicles and as a result, there is a growth of bacteria in that clogged part of skin. The result is that the skin gets covered in pimples which form due to that bacterial growth and while there isn’t too much to worry about acne, it can cause certain problems if it gets too serious. Severe cases can result in scars too. Since it commonly occurs in teenage, another impact of acne is that the person loses self esteem due to the bad look that these pimples give them. Acne can appear on the skin in four different ways. The first two, which are non inflammatory are called the whiteheads and blackheads. The other two are inflammatory and can either be in the form of papules, pustules or nodules or can be more severe and cause cysts to appear.
Causes of acne in males
There are a number of different factors that can cause a person to suffer from acne and they are discussed here:
- Hormones – The time of age when there is the highest chance of acne occurring in males is when they are reaching puberty. Since the whole change in body brought about during puberty is hormonal, it is safe to say that hormones play a major role in causing acne. Research has also given evidence for that to be the case.
- Stress – This is a factor that is known to have a solid impact of a lot of bodily functions including hormone production, digestion respiration and even the immune system of the body. Due to this extra pressure on the body, stress can therefore be taken as a solid cause for aggravating acne.
- Genetics – This factor has been under study for quite some time now and since it is clear that acne is a genetic disease, it can be determined from this that if your parents had acne when they were young then you could have it too. The reason as to why this isn’t eliminated by the evolutionary process is still a mystery.
- Vitamins – The amount of vitamins are below normal in most of the people nowadays and there is research being conducted to see if there could be a possible link. A definitive answer however, is yet to be found.
Some noteworthy statistics regarding acne in males have been compiled and are presented here:
- Acne is most common among boys aged 16-19
- 25% of the adult male population experiences acne
- Shaving can sometimes cause acne to become perpetual in males suffering from it
- Usage of anabolic steroids by men wanting to build muscles has been found as a prominent cause for causing acne to get severe.
- Being less sun savvy as compared to women, males who are exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time can also result in getting acne.
There are several methods for treating acne and they have been listed here:
- OTC creams and gels
- Prescribed antibiotic creams and gels
- Oral medicine
- Laser therapy
- Some cosmetic products
While acne can occur quite easily in both males and females, it is evident that males, especially teenage boys are the most vulnerable of all to acne. It is highly recommended that you get acne treated as soon as possible and avoid everything that could cause it to worsen or become prolonged.